Thursday, October 2, 2008

More Delhi Sights

The rest of the group arrived last night and we stayed up until 2:30 talking.
After our hotel breakfast, we read the blog. We enjoy ¨reading¨ from you, so please keep the comments coming.
In the early afternoon, we set off in two taxis to see the largest mosque in Delhi. On the way there, we passed a local family on a cycle: dad was driving, a small child was asleep on the tank, and mom was holding a baby. All were colorfully dressed, but only the dad had a helmet on--mom and kids were free of any safety gear. Jean snapped a photo out the car window and we told them how beautiful they were. They smiled and the mom said thank you. The mosque was crowded and closed to us, but the visitors were definitely in a holiday mood. Food vendors sold every kind of food imaginable.
From the mosque we visited Humayun´s Tomb--a precursor of the Taj Mahal. Then it was off to an archeological park--tons of ruins--but now a World Heritage site, so in the process of being restored/preserved.
One more day here in Delhi, then we hope to hit the road. ra

7 comments:

Wayne said...

Hi Jean

I follow your blog daily and will comment when I can think of something (anything?) to say. Yesterday I suggested that a little religion never hurt anyone but don't overdo it. Be happy that you're where you are. The weather here is turning cool and usually wet. That should make you feel better (I sent one comment a few minutes ago but it disappeared into computer never never land. It may reappear , if it does then I'm getting repetetive)

wayne

ride safe

Anonymous said...

I love hearing about the families on bikes. It is amazing what they can have a bike and still not get into horrific accidents. I challenge you to have a running contest as to who will spot the most people on a bike! I think we spotted 6 once, 5 was commonplace. Have fun! I guess you could count chickens and goats too if you want. You are a creative bunch! I'm glad that you are reading the blog too. It's great and sets me about dreaming about future trips for Ed and I and who knows who else...
I just got back from my yoga class. It was a good one and ended with the customary 'namaste'. I bid you , once again and always,
namste,
nancy
p.s. even in the heat...ATGATT

Paula said...

Hello RA and Steve,
I am just now getting caught up on all your details. What a great idea to keep this blog-journal! The day after you left, India was in the news for a stampede of people which killed a large number. The sadness of this aside, I said to myself that that was just like Steve and RA to be where the news is.
Here in GB it is a sunny, cool autumn day. I forgot to tell you, RA, before you left that I have started jogging again. I am up to 7 km now and had a wonderful jog this morning.
I am glad you are safe and discovering so many sites and so much culture, but I miss you.
Paula

Hans Muellers said...

Hi India,
Carol and I made it to Carlisle, PA when my final drive broke down.
This is the 3rd final drive, the last one was a factory new unit installed only in March 08. We are on the way to MX and now way behind the 8 ball. I hope you have better luck on your trips.
Enjoy hearing from you on your blogs. be careful out there.
Hans

Hans Muellers said...

Hello India,
I broke down on my way to MX, final drive went. Nerest shop closed until Tue. today is Sunday.
This is 3rd drive, new factory drive, installed by dealer. Carol and I are now way behind for MX rally. Just showing you planning will not always work. I hope you have better luck. Stay calm, stay focused.Enjoy your trip.
Hans

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to share your trip immediately. I am loving the "international feel" of your experiences.
RA and Steve, Glad to know you took care of voting. We need you. Things are "gearing up and getting nasty"
Vicki

Anonymous said...

Enjoying your blog. Makes us want to retire all that much sooner. We're finally getting a rain day here--first one of the harvest. Only two days to go to finish the potatoes. See if you can find a potato field over there. Not sure what part of the country they're grown in.
Stay safe
LarEm