Thursday, October 9, 2008

Yikes! Bikes!

OH, MY, GOD!!!! The last 24 hours have been the absolute wildest time I have ever spent on a motorcycle in my 500,000 km experience!

It started yesterday morning when our bikes were delivered to our hotel. Crowds gathered around to see these 7 brand new, shiny Royal Enfield motorcycles(made in India) lined up amidst the dust and dirt of Delhi. Arun, the owner, had each of us ride down the street and back to test the bikes and ourselves and we all returned unscathed and satisfied with our mounts. Ruth Ann and I were especially pleased to find that we could flat-foot them once we wrenched the bikes off their side stands. Our mechanic, Mukesh, made last minute adjustments to mirrors and kick starters and then we were off.

We have a support van, driven by Sanjay and our mechanic,, Mukesh who will service and wash the bikes every evening and ride one if someone wants to travel in the van for whatever reason. The cost of such luxury? Mukesh $110 each for the whole two months. Sanjay and the van $286 each for the same period.

So we re off! We all line up and follow Mukesh first to the gas station where we fill the tanks for about $15 (gas is about $1.25 litre). Now we have to get out of town. Traffic is totally unbelievable! First- it is extremely heavy. Second- there are no lanes. Horns are honking everywhere. But there is a system to this chaos which we had noticed when walking, and now we move up from pedestrians (who are the lowest on the rung) to motorcyclists who are above bicycles, rickshaw cabs, tut tuts and scooters but are below cars and, the kings of the road. trucks. Cows, oxen, monkeys and dogs fit in where they can.

Trying to stay together, we dodge between all the aforementioned sundry vehicles with only centimeters to spare. People are so close to each other, one family had their children shake hands with Ruth Ann during a brief stop. Speaking of Ruth Ann, its really funny to see the look on peoples faces when they realize theres a woman riding. Women here all wear saris and ride side saddle so we re a big surprise. Men do an about face then tell the other two men on the bike and they all turn and look. The women, on the other hand, give us shy smiles as we make eye contact from across the globe.

Steve got up close and personal with a tut tut and stopped briefly to retrieve his leg. Other than than, we managed to get out of town where the traffic only thinned marginally but the speeds increased to about 60kph (40mph). Now that might not sound like much, but picture going down a two lane road where you re having to pass pedestrians, bicycles, tut tuts and numerous oxen-drawn carts while coming toward you are cars passing buses or trucks. Yikes! The worst scenario is when the trucks are passing the buses. Then the on-coming traffic, that would be us, have to hit the ditch and ride along there until its clear to get back up on the road. Now I m not a dirt rider, so hitting soft, deep sand the first time was pretty scary but I remembered to power out so probably hit about 150 kph as I blasted back onto the road only to have to brake hard to avoid hitting someone. This happened numerous times.

The other totally freaky thing was road diversions. We would be on a four lane divided highway (I use all these terms loosely. More like two country roads separated by a mound of sand) when we would be shunted onto the other road. Then we would be driving against traffic on the curb! People would flash their lights signaling us to get over as far as we could. Naturally, we tried to oblige providing there was a shoulder we could ride on.

I could go on ad nausea but suffice it to say that after riding 280 kms in 10 hours, the last three in the dark, we arrived quite shaken but intact. We are now staying at the Corbett Tiger Reserve for a few days – taking in copious amounts of alcohol to fuel the next leg of our journey. As for the tigers? They ll be a piece of cake compared to those trucks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, this morning is a good morning fur me just because I read good news from you ;) Thank you for the update and keep up doing so, please. Your traveling makes me think of retiring so I could do the same. I will think of a way ... So gasoline is about the same price as here. Should I send you a couple of Petro-Canada PrePaid Cards ? ;) Go on and have fun but don't forget to send updates so I can have fun too ... reading about you.

Bird Brain xxx

Wayne said...

Hi Jean, Ross and all

It sounds like the adventure has started. I got used to daily posts from you and have really missed the last few days but it sounds that life is too interesting to waste/spend time on a computer -- I understand. By comparison life here must be dull as I get your posts almost as soon as you send them. Now I'm really sorry. Take good notes and keep the names and addresses of your helpers. Maybe we can put together a BMWMCO/Loonie etc group and get you to lead sometime in the future.
Ride safe

wayne

Wayne said...

Hi Enjoy the blog but it's confusing. The dates were following in order wit the most recent being at the top . Now the've gone every which way ( Oct 2, Oct 10, Oct 9) confusing but now I know there's confusion I'll look farther down the list when I'm checking for news

thanks for sending it

Anonymous said...

WWHHOOOWHOOO!!! WOW What a ride. I found myself laughing and smiling and holding my breath with your last two updates. I've been checking the blog and missed it so much. Your updates are exciting and really bring me there with you. Aunt Shirley and Uncle Chuck say hi and have been following the blog too. How's the beer? What's the brand? Do you start off the day with a Mustang coffee? That'll make you see tigers for sure! ALl is well here except that the financial world seems to be collapsing all around us but never mind that. You are in fine shape with hiring your two fellas for a pittance. Have you got the head bobble down yet?
namaste,
Nancy

Wayne said...

now the blog format has changed again -- just get the latest unless I ask for previous. This is my first experience with a blog so it must be me

Anonymous said...

Well, it seems you are finally on your way. It sure sounds scary althogh exiting at the same time. I would be sh***ing bricks after only a couple kms of that mess and have to stop for a few beers to regain my composure. All of you have more guts than me. We check the blog every day so keep the news coming. I must say that Liz & I have been worrying about you for the past few days without any updates to your adventure. Were you guys anywhere near the earthquake that hit Nepal?
Stay safe and have a great time.

Del & Liz